The Manager, Finance and Accounting will report to the Director of Finance and Accounting and Controller and will be responsible for managing all aspects of the corporate budgeting process. The Manager will also lead the effort to consolidate financial statements, and facilitate the month-end close process. In addition, the Manager of Finance and Accounting will assist in design, implementation, and testing of company’s internal controls.
- Drive the consolidation and analysis of the corporate budget. Prepare and issue budget documentation for the management team.
- Develop budgets, monitor and report against budgets and highlight over/under spending in a timely fashion. This role will also negotiate with vendors to ensure adherence to budget.
- Manage the preparation of monthly variance analysis and related commentary and prepare/present results to leadership.
- Manage the preparation of information for monthly financial closing (i.e. accrual entries, reclassification entries etc.).
- Responsible for the forecasting of all departments, which is typically updated on a monthly basis.
- Act as liaison between the various functional heads and the rest of the organization including Finance to communicate and resolve key financial issues.
- Lead the Research Collaboration budgeting process to include comparing budget to actuals and assisting in forecasting future financials. Prepares all financial information/reports for Joint Steering Committee meetings.
- Manage the month-end close process by ensuring all balance sheet accounts are reconciled with adequate support. Help consistently improve the closing process to increase efficiency.
- Prepare, analyze, and review monthly and quarterly results and variance analysis relating to the overall performance of company Plans/Updates/LBEs and present results to senior management.
- Generate standard and customized reports for the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, management and department heads.
- Prepare and review expense budgets for the organization, confirm costs are captured, compare amounts with the corresponding contracts and review against the previous planning cycle. Highlight to budget owner areas of risk for overspending and excessive budgeting (i.e. excessive travel costs, headcount, etc.).
- Develop and maintain budgeting and accounting system solutions and process improvements that meet the needs of the financial planning and reporting requirements.
- Develop and implement new accounting standards, and research the company’s position on certain complex transactions and related areas to comply with regulatory standards.
- Record all transactional activities such as accounts payables invoices, vendor accruals, fixed assets, and employee expense reports.
- Contribute to the interim and annual audit processes by providing supporting schedules and other materials to external auditors.
- Manage ad-hoc projects such as creating tools, systems and processes in order to provide financial analysis and related support to function heads to support the business strategy.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Management or related field
Required Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 6 years of progressive accounting related experience in a large to medium scale environment
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the pharmaceutical / biotech industry – start-up experience preferred.
- Must have problem solving, process improvement, and project management skills
- Demonstrated expertise in Excel
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and a strong understanding of internal controls
- Comprehensive understanding of analytical and business process procedures with proficiency in reading and interpreting financial and operating results
- Must be able to effectively communicate and present technical and functional analysis to senior levels
- Must be able to react quickly and demonstrate leadership in changing and ambiguous business situations
- Must be able to work well in a team environment, possess strong influencing skills with cross-functional teams
PREFERRED EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Biotech / start-up experience
Aptinyx provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aptinyx complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Aptinyx expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.