The Director, Translational Science will develop and direct research and development activities for the Company’s products, with a focus on translating non-human in-vivo research to meaningful outcomes for patients. This role will report into the Vice President of Research and will direct all in-vivo efficacy studies for the Research team, including behavioral pharmacological studies and electrophysiological studies, relevant to screening compounds as well as evaluating identified leads.
We are seeking someone with a strong scientific background and team management experience to use both in-house and outsourced in-vivo studies to facilitate progression of compounds from screening through preclinical development and enable selection of clinical trial dose level, treatment paradigm and relevant endpoints. He or she will be responsible for managing protocol design, execution, interpretation and publication.
This role will work closely with senior leadership to develop research strategies, translate these strategies into priorities and operational goals and facilitate execution of goals using in-house and outsourced resources.
- Works with senior Research and Clinical department leadership to develop strategies to ensure effective achievement of scientific objectives.
- Responsible for sourcing and aligning in-house and outsourced resources to meet company needs under personnel and budgetary constraints.
- Identifies unique research tools, cellular and animal models that could provide translational data to help inform indication selection and clinical trial design.
- Develops deep understanding of specific indications of interest.
- Provides scientific leadership in the area on translational science enabling decisions on project progression and early development.
- Establishes early key opinion leader buy-in to preclinical projects and likely translatability to clinical studies.
- Represents Aptinyx as a research liaison and subject matter expert in meetings with key alliance partners.
- Organizes and chairs sessions at technical meetings; presents papers; primary author or key contributor on major reports, products, papers, presentations and peer reviewed journals.
- Works with senior leadership to plan publication strategy related to lead compound efficacy studies. Identifies relevant studies for publication inclusion and manages execution of studies.
- Attends symposia and other relevant conferences to stay abreast of latest research in high-priority indications and to interact with external collaborators.
- Identifies and develops academic investigators/institutions as well as contract research organizations for potential collaborations and work products.
- Manages operational aspects of outsourced research activities. Provides contract management support of sponsored research agreements, material transfer agreements, service agreements, and license agreements. Ensures compliance with stated deliverables, overseeign study execution and finalizing reports.
- Travels to collaboration sites to monitor activities and build effective working relationships.
- Works closely with Clinical, Drug Development, Finance and other stakeholders to ensure the appropriate flow of information from collaborations.
- Selects, develops and evaluates in-vivo Research team to ensure the efficient operation of the function and provides intensive mentoring and training of research staff.
- Utilizes project planning techniques to plan, develop and coordinate lab operations, projects and resources. Maintains project plans and updates those plans as needed.
- Provides ideas to improve efficiency.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, biology, pharmacology or a related scientific discipline with a focus on CNS
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience
- A minimum of 4 years of direct management experience within the pharmaceutical industry, including managing laboratory staff
- Multidisciplinary in vivo pharmacologist/biologist with complementary technical experience, such as electrophysiology, behavioral neuroscience, neurochemistry, etc.
- Substantial knowledge of CNS drug discovery and development with direct leadership experience
- Experience with in vivo models in multiple species (rodent and non-rodent), as well as correlating in vitro with in vivo models.
- Experience managing research vendors and collaborators, such as contract research organization and academic laboratories, particularly related to in-vivo studies
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought
- Highly organized; ability to multitask and to execute on multiple diverse projects simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, GraphPad Prism, Spotfire and / or other relevant software platforms
No agencies please.
Aptinyx is committed and responsive to our employees. We offer an engaging work environment, challenging work assignments, and competitive compensation and benefits. Aptinyx is conveniently located in downtown Evanston next to Metra and CTA stations. If you are interested in learning more, please visit our website at www.aptinyx.com.
Aptinyx provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aptinyx complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Aptinyx expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.